The aim of the Fellowships is to promote academic exchange and cooperation between CAS institutes and international research institutions and universities, and the development of talented scientists, by attracting young international scientists to conduct a period of cooperative research at CAS institutes.
The Fellowship provides for visits of 12 months duration, and funding covers the personal expenses of the international visitors. Such visits may be extended by agreement for a further period of up to 12 months.
Recipients of the Fellowships will be recommended as candidates for the “Young International Scientists Grant Program” of the National Science Foundation of China.
Candidatesfor the Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
1. Citizenship of a nation that has formal diplomatic relations with the People’s Republic of China.
2. Good communication skills in English or Chinese, able to communicate independently in their place of work.
3. Commitment to abide by the laws of the People’s Republic of China and the relevant regulations of CAS and the host institute.
4. Research scientist applicants should hold a PhD degree, be under the age of 40, and have over five years of research experience and sound academic accomplishments.
5. Post-doctoral applicants should hold a PhD degree and be under the age of 35.
The collaborator within the host institute, preferably holding a PhD degree, should hold a senior research position, and be engaged in a major research program. He or she should have the capacity and working facilities to effectively conduct cooperative research with the visitor.
1. CAS will provide each recipient with a grant to cover the recipient’s salary, daily living allowance, and health insurance, between 150,000 and 250,000 RMB (pre-tax) per year, the exact amount being determined according to the length of the visit and the academic level of the visitor.
2. Recipients at the research scientist level, under the age of 40, will receive up to 250,000 RMB per year. Post-doctoral recipients, under the age of 35, will receive up to 150,000 RMB per year.
3. CAS will also provide a round-trip (economy-class) international airfare between the airport located nearest to the visitor’s home and that nearest to the host institute.
There are two application routes for the Fellowships. Applications may be submitted by a CAS host institute or by a designated international partner institution of the CAS.
1. Applications from host institutions: a host institute may submit applications taking into account its needs and capacity and the level of its cooperation and communication with a given candidate.
2. Applications from foreign partner institutions: CAS will invite key international partner institutions to nominate potential visitors.
3. Applicationsfrom CAS institutes and international partner institutions are to be submitted to the Bureau of International Cooperation, CAS, during two specific periods each year. The first round of applications is from March 1-15 and the second from September 1-15.
All applications please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attachment: APPLICATION FOR FELLOWSHIP FOR YOUNG INTERNATIONAL SCIENTISTS